162 EXCHANGE PARK LN.

162 EXCHANGE PARK LN.

162
,
Hillsborough
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1920-1935
/ Modified in
circa 1960
Type: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

Last updated

  • Fri, 06/26/2020 - 12:11pm by SteveR

Comments

162
,
Hillsborough
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1920-1935
/ Modified in
circa 1960
Type: 

 

This was once Lucius Freeland's store. Foodstuffs were sold and after awhile gasoline pumps were installed; according to long-time resident Clarence Jones, "it became quite popular as a place to stop, buy, and visit."
 
1937
 
In the 1940s, Mitch Lloyd took over the business, running it mostly as a filling station. After Lloyd, it was operated by Ira Ray (a.k.a. "Windy Bill").
 
The current building erected at the location was built by Owen S. Robertson circa 1960, and was operated as a gas station for some time before being used for other types of businesses.
 
It was the Riverside Restaurant & Catering in the early 2000s, operated by Dorothy ("Dot") and Leon Lea, and was wriiten about by Bob Garner for Our State Magazine in November 2007, and  again in 2009. It is currently El Restaurante Ixtapa, which itself has been written about in the New York Times travel section (December 20, 2015).
 
Riverside Restaurant, 2012 (via Yelp)
 
 

Add new comment