240 RILEY AVE. - RILEY HOUSE

240 RILEY AVE. - RILEY HOUSE

240
,
Hillsborough
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1921
Architectural style: 
,
Construction type: 
Type: 
Use: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

  • Fri, 05/31/2019 - 1:20pm by gary

Comments

240
,
Hillsborough
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1921
Architectural style: 
,
Construction type: 
Type: 
Use: 

 

08.13.2016 (G. Kueber)

OC survey by HMW preservation text:

"Located the northwest corner of Riley Avenue and Eno Street, the Paul Riley House may have been one of the earlier houses in West Hillsborough as part of a larger farm belonging to the Riley family that stretched westward all the way to Barracks Road/Street. According to West Hillsborough native Owen Allison, Mr. Riley bought some of the land belonging to the former Hillsborough Military Academy after the main barracks building had been demolished and used the land as a cow pasture. The Riley family operated a store (OR3009) located at 901 Eno Street and were landholders in the area. One of the few examples of a building associated with the Riley family’s influence in West Hillsborough, it is also unique for its prevalent use of stone in the yard and as part of the porch. County tax records date the building to 1921.

The one-story, frame bungalow features a three-bay façade sheltered by a side-gabled roof with overhanging eaves and features an engaged porch supported by Craftsman-style tapered wood posts on brick piers. The house rests atop a brick foundation, is covered in vinyl siding, and has nine-over-two wood-sash windows throughout the original section. The façade features a central nine-light-over-two-panel wood entrance door. A shed-roofed dormer on the façade has a four-light window and there are two interior brick corbelled chimneys punctuating the 5V metal roof. An original small, side-gabled bay projects from the north elevation and a wide ca. 1970s gabled addition extends to the rear (west). A small garden shed was added onto the south elevation of the house in 2016. A stone retaining wall borders the property to the east and south and a matching stone walk leads to a set of stone steps accessing the front porch."

Add new comment