08.14.2016 (G. Kueber)
Originally named Hillsboro Building & Loan (until 1965, when it was renamed Hillsboro Savings & Loan Association), it was the branch of the downtown Hillsborough bank that served the mills and employees. Built in circa 1950, by 1973 it was no longer was a bank branch and was sold.
(Below in italics is from the National Register listing; not verified for accuracy by this author.)
The one-story, Colonial Revival-style building is three bays wide and triple-pile with a full- width rear gable. It has a brick veneer laid in a five-to-one common bond and twenty-light metal windows with operable casements on the front side-gabled section. There are two gabled dormers on the façade, each with German-profile weatherboards on the front, wood shingles on the sides, and paired four-light metal casement windows. The four-light-over-four-panel door has a single pane of glass installed in place of the upper two panels. It has a classical surround with fluted pilasters and a broken pediment. There are high, small windows on the side elevations of the rear gable and a tall brick chimney within the rear gable. A four-light-over-four-panel door on the right (east) elevation has pilasters and a single-light transom. The building was likely erected in the early 1950s and stands on the site of an earlier wholesale grocery. The Hillsborough Savings Bank erected a new building on North Churton Street in 1960 and this building [became] a residence.
In 2016, the building was converted to an artist's studio/gallery.