07.18.2016 (G. Kueber)
Text from Orange County survey performed by hmw Preservation 2017
One of the most intact examples of the bungalow house type in West Hillsborough, the property located at the northeast corner of Eno Street and Allen Ruffin Avenue retains a high level of material integrity. The one-and-a-half-story, side-gabled bungalow is three bays wide and double-pile and is dominated by a full- width, engaged shed-roofed porch supported by tapered wood posts on brick piers with a simple wooden balustrade. The house is clad in weatherboards, has a standing seam metal roof on the façade, asphalt roof on the rear, two interior brick chimney, knee brackets in the gables, and two-over-two wood-sash windows throughout. The façade has single windows flanking a one-light-over-three panel door below a large, gabled dormer with a triple window and exposed rafter tails. The side elevations each have two window bays on the first story and a paired window flanked by vents in the gables above. A rear shed-roofed wing extends nearly the full width of the rear (north) elevation, with a modern deck to its rear. The exposed basement on the east elevation has three windows and a wood door with foundation vents on the house’s other elevations.
County tax records indicate that the property was constructed in 1931. Deed records indicate that the property was transferred from O. W. Riley to Weldon Riley in 1916. It was sold by Primmie Lee M. Riley (widow) in 1973, after which it was owned by Thelma R. and Opal R. Cates until 2002.