ALEXANDER DICKSON HOUSE (ORIGINAL LOCATION)

DicksonHouse_1950s.jpgDicksonHouse_outbuilding_1960s.jpgdicksonhouse_aftermove.jpgDicksonHouse_OriginalLocation_071711.jpg

ALEXANDER DICKSON HOUSE (ORIGINAL LOCATION)

,
Hillsborough
NC
Built in
1775-1800
/ Modified in
1982
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
Type: 
Use: 

Site of Gen. Johnson's encampment in Hillsborough before the largest troop surrender of the Civil War

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

  • Mon, 10/17/2016 - 2:07pm by gary

Comments

,
Hillsborough
NC
Built in
1775-1800
/ Modified in
1982
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
Type: 
Use: 

 

Dickson House, 1950s (Hillsborough, North Carolina General Development Plan, 1968-1988)

DicksonHouse_1950s.jpg

1950s

DicksonHouse_outbuilding_1960s.jpg

Outbuilding on original Dickson Farm, 1960s.

Plaque reads:

"General Johnston's Officer and Orderly Room

Here took place the discussions regarding terms of surrender by General Johnston, Confederate Secretary of War Breckinridge, Mr. Mallory, and Confederate Governor Vance. From here, General Johnston with his staff rode along the old Hillsboro-Durham Road April 27 to make his final surrender of his army to General Sherman."

The house was moved in 1982.

dicksonhouse_aftermove.jpg

After move to downtown Hillsborough, 1982.

(Courtesy NCSU)

The original site is now a Wal-Mart. The restored house serves as the Hillsborough Visitor Center.

 

DicksonHouse_OriginalLocation_071711.jpg

Approximate original location of the Alexander Dickson house, with historic "Civil War Trails" plaque in the foreground.

Add new comment

Add new comment