CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL

CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL

,
Hillsborough
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1937
/ Demolished in
1958
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
Local Historic District: 
Type: 
Use: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

  • Mon, 10/17/2016 - 2:34pm by SteveR

Comments

,
Hillsborough
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1937
/ Demolished in
1958
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
Local Historic District: 
Type: 
Use: 

 

Central High School, located in Hillsborough, was initially named the "Hillsborough High School for Negroes"; the 12-room main structure was built in July 1936, on property purchased from Louis Wilson and George Mayo. Mr. C. E. Hester was the first principal, and the school initially served first through eleventh grades (and a "secret" kindergarten class was also taught in its library for awhile). The school's library also served the local black community as a public library. 

Hillsborough High School for Negroes' main building, 1936

Graded School (Colored), 1943 (Sanborn)

Students, 1939 (H. Lee Waters excerpt)
 
Students, 1939 (H. Lee Waters excerpt)
 
Students, 1939 (H. Lee Waters excerpt)
 
Teachers, 1939 (H. Lee Waters excerpt)
 
Teachers, with Mr. Stanback on right, 1939 (H. Lee Waters excerpt)
 
Teachers and students, 1939 (H. Lee Waters excerpt)

In 1942, teacher Albert L. Stanback became principal, and had the school renamed Central High School in 1943. In the early 1950s, the elementary school grade classes were moved from Central's campus to a new segregated county school (Cedar Grove Elementary) north of Hillsborough. 

1955 aerial (UNC)

1957 (Blue Flame / Central High School Yearbook, 1957)

Buses, 1957

 

In 1958, Central High's main building burned down. In late 1958, the new gymnasium ("gymtorium") was built, and several famous musicians and perfomers performed at the opening: Ike and Tina Turner, Otis Redding, and Solomon Burke. 

 
A new classroom building was built in 1958, and a second classroom building, a vocational building, and an agricultural and band building were built between 1959 and 1962. After Principal Stanback's death in 1964 (his memorial service was held in the gymnasium), W. C. Blue acted as interim principal until a new principal was selected for the position; J. M. Murfee was selected, and served until 1969.
 
1961
 
1962
 
New classroom building, ~1965
 
 
Today, the enlarged campus is Hillsborough Elementary School.
 
08.13.2016 (G. Kueber)
 
 

Add new comment

Add new comment