GREEN HILL

Green Hill

GREEN HILL

1205
,
Hillsborough
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1750
/ Modified in
1965-1968
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
Type: 
Use: 

Moved from near Turkey Farm road (between Whitfield and New Hope Creek) to the corner of Lawrence Road and US70 bypass in the late 1960s (prior to 1969) by the Coman family.

 

 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

  • Tue, 01/17/2017 - 12:03pm by gary

Comments

1205
,
Hillsborough
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1750
/ Modified in
1965-1968
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
Type: 
Use: 

 

Built circa 1784 for George Johnston.

NCSU Architectural drawings collection.

NCSU Architectural drawings collection.

From the April 1969 Hillsborough Historical Society Newsletter (No. 37)

Mr. and Mrs. James H. Coman, Jr. brought Greenhill from its original setting and restored this house built about 1750 to its former glory. The house is interesting in its entirety. The windows are all original panes, with the wavy look of poured glass. The hand carved paneling which was made in Orange County is very handsome. The cornice, mantels, baseboards and window trims are all original. The three large outside doors to the home are Christian doors, with a gross at the top and an open Bible in the bottom panel. Walls, floors and ceiling are all random-width pine. The original three rooms were built about 1750 on a land grant from the King of England to Charles Wilson Johnston, and was owned by the Johnston family until the Comans bought it. They moved it 12 miles from its former site to the lovely green hill on which it now rests. Furnished with furniture of the 1730 period except in the “keeping room” or den. The Comans did extensive research with the help of Personnel of the North Carolina Department of Archives in the restoration and furnishing of “Greenhill”. One wall in the “borning room” was originally part of the back porch. This is a type of construction seen only twice in Williamsburg where it is dated 1680 and never seen before in the Piedmont. Mr. and Mrs. Coman used it as a well in the small room, which Mr. Coman now uses as a study, in order to preserve it. 53 members of the Johnson family were born in this room.

Moved from near Turkey Farm Road (between Whitfield Road and New Hope Creek, approximately here) to the corner of Lawrence Road and US70 Bypass in the late 1960s (between 1966 and 1969) while owned by the Coman family. It was moved to make way for a commercial development. The graves from the Johnston family cemetery were moved circa 1966-1967 to the nearby New Hope Cemetery; the former slave cemetery for Green Hill remains in its original location, however.

Green Hill

Green Hill, 1960s

Add new comment

Add new comment