MAPLE HILL / JACOB JACKSON HOUSE

MAPLE HILL / JACOB JACKSON HOUSE

2314
,
Hillsborough
NC
Built in
1810
/ Modified in
1820
,
1855
,
1940
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
National Register: 
Type: 
Use: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

Last updated

  • Sun, 10/09/2016 - 2:00pm by gary

Comments

2314
,
Hillsborough
NC
Built in
1810
/ Modified in
1820
,
1855
,
1940
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
National Register: 
Type: 
Use: 

 

Maple Hill, 1965 (NCSU Historic Architecture Research. Project Records (UA110.041))

From the National Register nomination (1994):

The Jacob Jackson Farm stands on the crest of a hill overlooking the broad Eno River Valley 2.8 miles northeast of the .town of Hillsborough in North Carolina's central Piedmont. The 63.15-acre farm, located on the north side of State Route 1002 (St. Mary's Road) .4 of a mile west of State Route 1538 (New Sharon Road), is a portion of a 381-acre tract of land that was granted to James Taylor in 1753 by John, Earl of Granville. The centerpiece of the farm is Maple Hill, a gracious dwelling that stands beneath lofty maple trees and faces south among intricate boxwood gardens at the southeast edge of the farm.

The appearance of the historic farmhouse reflects its growth as a structure over one hundred and forty years. A single pen, hewn log cabin likely constructed ca. 1810 vvas joined by a two-story, weatherboarded log Federal farmhouse built as a separate structure south of the cabin ca. 1820 and a one and one half story Greek Revival wing joined to the farmhouse on the east in the mid-nineteenth century. Almost one hundred years later, in 1940, a connector ell was extended north from the farmhouse to the cabin and, in 1946, a frame dining room/kitchen block was constructed east of the cabin completing the dwelling and giving it the shape of an elongated H. From 1940 to 1950 sensitive repairs were necessary to reinforce the foundations of the Federal block, replace the porches on the south-facing facade, and return the nineteenth century interiors to serviceable condition by restoring woodwork, and adding bathrooms and central heating.

In addition to Maple Hill, a large log and frame barn west of the house, likely constructed over a half century, from ca. 1855 to 1910, contributes to the historic character of the property. An early-twentieth century chicken house, rebuilt and resited in 1946, and an equipment shed/ granary, built after 1946, are non-contributing. A slave cabin and an older granary, deteriorated beyond salvaging, were demolished in 1950.

Maple Hill, 1965 (NCSU Historic Architecture Research. Project Records (UA110.041))

From Gardens of Old Hillsborough, 1971:

This beautiful early nineteenth century farm house in its setting of fine maple trees, stands on a hill overlooking the rolling countryside. The peaceful setting is enhanced by its smooth green lawns, boxwood, and old-fashioned plantings. On the banks bordering the driveway, grow many varieties of old narcissus and hyacinths. a colorful mass of bloom in early spring. Red spider lilies make a spectacular border in late summer.

Mrs. Hollandsworth has taken special pleasure in designing her kitchen herb garden, and has slipped the dwarf boxwood bordering walks and beds. Many culinary herbs are growing here, including such unusual ones as salad burnet, orange mint, cologne mint, lemon and Italian basil, tansy, tarragon, and many more usual ones, conveniently near the door to the great kitchen.

There are old peonies, old roses, and Confederate jasmine, to add their charm and fragrance. Three large bushes of the famous tea rose, Solfaterre, add particular interest to this appealing garden.

10.09.2016 (G. Kueber)

Add new comment

Add new comment