Drawing of the 1906 structure (History of the Churches of Hillsborough)
Picture of the 1906 structure, likely 1960s. (History of the Churches of Hillsborough)
From History of the Churches of Hillsborough (1962) in italics:
THE HISTORY OF THE MT. BRIGHT BAPTIST CHURCH Written by Rev. Fred J. Boddie, Jr.
In the days when American transportation was in its covered wagon and stage coach era, its continued westward march, and emancipation of slaves, a certain portion of Colored citizenship in the little Revolutionary town of Hillsborough. N. C. found itself face to face with real religious freedom for the first time.
Realizing this, it was in the year 1866 that a local church group was organized, and later became known as the Mount Bright Baptist Church. Mount Bright Baptist Church was named in honor of its first pastor, the Rev. Alfred E. Bright.
One of its first meeting places was in a home not more than 300 yards from its present structure. This was the home of the late Brother Louis Jenkins. Perhaps it is better known today as the Hattie Latta place. Another meeting place was the Old Fellows Hall, now known as the Community Center. Meetings were held in this building after the original church structure burned in 1903.
The present site was given to the group by the widow of the Honorable William A. Graham, Governor of North Carolina, 1845.
The church was erected on the present site in 1906.
The Mount Bright Baptist Church has been served by many outstand ing church leaders. Their pastorates range in the following order: The Rev. Alfred Bright. The Rev. Robert Shepherd, Oxford, N. C. The Rev. Augustus Shepherd, Oxford, N. C. (this Rev. Shepherd was married to the former Miss Pattie Whitted. This couple were the parents Rev. Alonzo Bernard Johnson Rev. F. J. Boddie, pastor of the pastor of the Baptist Church for Baptist Church, Hillsborough, N. about 25 years. C., 1961. of the late Dr. James E. Shepherd, educator and founder of North Carolina College at Durham). The Rev. Snyder. The Rev. Burrell The. Rev. Davis, Shaw University, Raleigh, N. C. The Rev. Edwards. The Rev. Perry—Instructor, Shaw University, Raleigh, N. C. The Rev. Caldwell, Chapel Hill, N. C. The Rev. Alvis Whitted, Sr., Hillsborough (father of Alvis Whitted, Jr.) The Rev. Vinson—Shaw University, Raleigh, N. C. The Rev. Worlds. The Rev. Thomas—Missionary to Liberia, Africa. The Rev. J. H. Moore, Clarkton, N. C. The Rev. Watkins—Shaw University, Raleigh, N. C. The Rev. Pope—Durham, N. C. The Rev. Donnell—Greensboro, N. C. The Rev. Tabron—Durham, N. C. The Rev. A. B. Johnson—Raleigh, N. C. The Rev. B. B. Felder—Columbia, S. C. The Rev. P. H. Warren, Jr., A.B. Shaw University; Goldsboro, N. C. The Rev. F. J. Boddie, Jr., A.B. Shaw University, B.D. Shaw University Divinity School and a native of Petersburg, Virginia. (Pastor until 1961). The Rev. Howe B. Perry, DD, 1962
The second, 1906 church structure above was demolished prior to 1979 and a new structure was built, pictured below.
09.24.2016 (G. Kueber)
(Below in italics from the National Register nomination; not verified for accuracy by this author)
Replacing an earlier church on this site, the 1979 Mount Bright Baptist Church is a one-story, front-gabled brick church with a projecting front-gabled entrance bay and a four-sided steeple on a louvered belfry. The church is three bays wide and eight bays deep with brick quoins and narrow stained-glass windows. The entrance bay may have been constructed as a front-gabled porch or portico, but has been enclosed with metal- frame storefront windows and doors. A one-story, side-gabled wing projects from the rear of the left (east) elevation and has brick quoins, vinyl windows, and an entrance in the left gable end. A small gabled hyphen at the rear (south) of this wing connects to a side-gabled education wing with brick quoins and vinyl windows. According to the cornerstone, the church was organized in 1866 and the present building was constructed in 1979. The education building at the rear was constructed in 1990 [HDC]. According to the Sanborn maps, the church replaced an early “(Colored) Baptist Church” on the site shown on the 1924 and 1943 Sanborn maps.