ORANGE COUNTY TRAINING SCHOOL (SECOND) / NORTHSIDE ELEMENTARY

ORANGE COUNTY TRAINING SCHOOL (SECOND) / NORTHSIDE ELEMENTARY

350
Chapel Hill
NC
Built in
1924
/ Modified in
1935
Construction type: 
Neighborhood: 
Type: 
Use: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

  • Fri, 06/26/2020 - 12:10pm by SteveR

Comments

350
Chapel Hill
NC
Built in
1924
/ Modified in
1935
Construction type: 
Neighborhood: 
Type: 
Use: 

 

The Orange County Training School was built in 1924, on six and one-half acres of land donated by Henry Stroud between present-day McMaster and Caldwell streets in the Northside neighborhood. The building replaced the original Orange County Training School that had been located on Merritt Mill Road.
 
The Orange County School Board tried to cut back on funding for construction of the new school, and the community had to ensure that such materials as brick were used instead of cheaper materials like cinder block. The buiding's cornerstone was laid in a well-attended public ceremony September 1, 1924. The school's first principal was B. L. Bosman.
 
The total cost of the school was $23,112.00, with the black community raising $500.00, the general public raising $15,000.00, the white community raising $6,112.00, and the Rosenwald fund providing $1,500.00 towards its construction.
 
Circa 1925 (Fisk University Rosenwald Fund Card File Database)
 
Circa 1925 (Fisk University Rosenwald Fund Card File Database)
 
It was a nine-teacher type building plan, and its application number was 60-D. It was the largest Rosenwald in the county.
 
Excerpt of June 1925 Sanborn map
 
A new addition was added to the front of the school in 1935, which enabled the administration to separate the elementary school from the high school (as grades 1-12 attended the school). The school was renamed Lincoln High School in 1948 and Northside Elementary in 1951, when the new Lincoln High School was built on Merritt Mill Road.
 
The school closed shortly after mandatory integration of the district began in 1966. The building was then used mainly as office space until it was razed to make way for the school building that currently stands.
 
The original Orange County Training School cornerstone

Add new comment