October 1939 (excerpt from H. Lee Waters film)
1937 (excerpt from H. Lee Waters film)
~1950s, showing the original façade. (History of the Town of Hillsborough, 1754-1966)
From the National Register nomination:
One of the oldest commercial buildings in the district, this two-story, parapet-roofed brick structure is of pressed brick construction laid in a one-to-five common bond with full-height brick pilasters at the corners. The building has a replacement Colonial Revival-style storefront with a recessed entrance bay on the right (south) end of the façade with a nine-light-over-four-panel door flanked by sidelights. On the left (north) end of the façade is a three-part multi-pane picture window above a paneled window box extending the full width of the window. The storefront bays are separated by pilasters supporting a bellcast copper pent roof with a modillion cornice. There are six-over-six wood-sash windows with jack arches at the second floor level. A slate-shingled mansard with Colonial Revival-style modillion cornice spans the full width of the façade and the Colonial Revival-style storefronts were likely added to the building in the mid-twentieth century. Windows on the second-floor level of the north elevation have been covered with wood and several windows on the first- floor level of the south elevation have been bricked in. Several six-over-six wood-sash windows remain at the second-floor level of the south elevation. A pent roof on the south elevation shelters an ATM and a side-gabled canopy shelters the drive-through banking lanes on the south elevation. The building was constructed as a general store and is labeled as the Park Building on Sanborn maps from 1884 to 1911.
1911 Sanborn Map, showing "Park Building."
Ad from 1890
The structure appears to have been labelled "Park Building" along with the adjacent structures, which were demolished in the 1960s to make way for a bank drive-through for CCB.
1966, showing the facade newly fancified with colonial revival encrustations, and the installation of the drive-through on the right side of the building where the adjacent structures once were.
With completed colonialization, 1966 (Hillsborough General Development Plan)
CCB was purchased by SunTrust, which relocated its Hillsborough operations to a new Colonial Revival structure on the corner of Orange Grove and South Churton.
2013, view north east (S. Rankin)
07.02.2016 (G. Kueber)
As of 2016, the structure was put on the market by Cushman and Wakefield. With an interior like this, who could resist?
Hopefully someone will purchase it and, after paying SunTrust too much money, will have a bit of scratch left over to pull this layer of ugly out of the building - and perhaps they will de-colonialize the façade at the same time, and give this building's exterior back the character it deserves. Fortunately, the NR nominators left this building as "contributing," fairly arbitrarily, given the non-contributing status of other colonial-ized buildngs downtown - so it is eligible for tax credits.