PATTERSON PLANTATION

/sites/default/files/images/OO_July2016/PattersonHouse_3_031268.jpg/sites/default/files/images/OO_July2016/PattersonHouse_2_031268.jpg/sites/default/files/images/OO_July2016/PattersonHouse_1_031268.jpg

PATTERSON PLANTATION

630
,
Durham
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1830-1850
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
Type: 
Use: 

This is the old homestead of Mann Patterson and his descendants.

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

  • Mon, 07/04/2016 - 10:37pm by gary

Comments

630
,
Durham
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1830-1850
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
Type: 
Use: 

 


03.13.68
(Courtesy The Herald-Sun Newspaper)


03.13.68
(Courtesy The Herald-Sun Newspaper)


03.13.68
(Courtesy The Herald-Sun Newspaper)

This is the old homestead of Mann Patterson and his descendants. This property is located .2 miles from Mt. Moriah Baptist Church directly across from the juntion of Whitfield Road and Erwin Road. This property is now owned by Mr. David Dickson and is called "Holly Rock Farm." Mr. Dickson has done lots of remodeling to all the property. It has been stated that Mann Patterson started building this home before he died in 1834; and the home was later completed by his second wife, Mary Cabe Patterson. When Mann Patterson died, his will directed that his wife receive 2200 acres of land. This house sits on property that was originally part of the 2200 acres of land that Mann Patterson owned. Matthew and Phebe are shown in 1870 living in the household with Mann's and Mary's two sons, Mann and Robert. It is possible that Matthew and Phebe lived on this property, perhaps in the slave quarters.
Source

The owners of the Patterson Plantation in the 1950's were Charlie and Josie Humphries. They owned much of the property on both sides of Erwin Road at that time. The home and land had been in one of their families was my understanding... her maiden name is Henderson. They moved to Hope Valley for a period of time, and members of the Humphries family returned to live on the other side of Erwin Road in a home they built in the 1980's.
Source: Tad DeBerry

 

Add new comment

Add new comment