09.10.2016 (G. Kueber)
(Below in italics is from the National Register listing; not verified for accuracy by this author.)
Constructed as a lodge for the Masonic Order and the Eastern Star, this two-story, side-gabled, concrete-block building is four bays wide and two bays deep. It has exposed concrete-block on the exterior with flush fiber-cement siding in the gables, which project slightly to create a prow effect. The building has high, sliding metal windows on both levels of the north and south elevations. Two metal doors on the west elevation are sheltered by a full-depth fabric awning over a concrete-block wall. Entrances on the west and south elevations also have metal doors. A one-story, shed-roofed wing was added to the right end of the rear elevation (northeast) in 1991. The building replaced a colored school that stood on the site in 1924 [1924 SM]. A sign on the south elevation reads “St. Anita Maria 622” (Eastern Star) and “St. James 494” (Prince Hall Grand Lodge Masonic).
1924 Sanborn Map showing the "Colored School" that was previously located here.
This school was the destination for African-Amercian veterans during the 1919 Veterans parade in Hillsborough after WWI.