STRUDWICK LAW OFFICE

STRUDWICK LAW OFFICE

110
,
Hillsborough
NC
Built in
1839
/ Modified in
1889
,
1940
,
1987
Construction type: 
National Register: 
Type: 
Use: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

  • Tue, 08/16/2016 - 8:21am by gary

Comments

110
,
Hillsborough
NC
Built in
1839
/ Modified in
1889
,
1940
,
1987
Construction type: 
National Register: 
Type: 
Use: 

 

08.08.2016

(Below in italics is from the National Register listing; not verified for accuracy by this author.)

The house that stands at 110 East Orange Street incorporates Dr. Edmund Strudwick's Law Office in its fabric, but the house was heavily remodeled and enlarged in 1987 and no trace of the 1-story frame office remains. The two-story, side-gabled building is three bays wide and single-pile with vinyl siding, vinyl windows, and projecting full-height bay windows flanking the central entrance, a double-leaf three-light-over- one-panel French door with a three-light transom. A second-story, shed-roofed porch extends the full width of the façade with square posts supporting the roof and sawn brackets supporting the porch floor, which shelters the first-floor entrance. Paired French doors centered on the second-floor façade access the porch. There is a one-story, side-gabled wing on the right (west) elevation and an asymmetrical side-gabled wing on the left (east) elevation. The office appeared on the John Bailey map of 1839. It originally stood next door, on the grounds of his house, the Turner-Strudwick House, but was moved in 1889 to this site. The house appears on the 1924 Sanborn map, the earliest map to record this part of town. It is shown enlarged by 1943. However, was it enlarged again with the addition of a second story in 1987

Add new comment