The Sunnyside School was built or repurposed for African-American students.
In the mid-1930’s, a replacement for the Sunnyside School was desired by parents and the local school committee. In May 1937, at the monthly Orange County Board of Education meeting, "Several colored people from the Hickory Grove school section appeared before the board and asked for a new building at a new location for that district." The replacement was the Hickory Grove School, built in late 1937 or 1938.
Excerpt of 1922 school map of Orange County (shows the two Sunnyside schools; one for black and one for the white students)