Thomas Ruffin Law Office, 1955 (NCSU Historic Architecture Research)
February 1965 (HABS / Library of Congress)
From the National Register nomination:
The one-story, side-gabled, frame structure is located on its original site on the front lawn of Burnside. The intact Federal style building is 18'8" by 14'2" with a rubble stone foundation, beaded weatherboards, nine-over-nine wood-sash windows, and a rubble stone exterior end chimney with a brick stack. The asphalt-shingled roof has flush eaves and there are six-panel doors centered on the north and south elevations. Inside the one-room office the focal point is the simple Federal-style mantel. The interior walls are sheathed in flush beaded wallboards and a door is secured by H and L hinges. The room is finished with molded crown and chair rail. A small garden enclosed with a picket fence has been constructed on the north side of the building and a row of low boxwoods has been added to mark the path from the house to the law office. Thomas Ruffin (1787-1870) was a prominent lawyer and served as Chief Justice of the North Carolina Supreme Court from 1833-1852 and again from 1858- 1860.