WEST HILLSBOROUGH GRADED SCHOOL (FIRST)

West End School aerial view, 1920sWest End School interior, ca. 1950

WEST HILLSBOROUGH GRADED SCHOOL (FIRST)

,
Hillsborough
NC
Built in
1890-1910
/ Demolished in
1942-1970
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
Type: 
Use: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

  • Sat, 08/13/2016 - 5:20pm by gary

Comments

,
Hillsborough
NC
Built in
1890-1910
/ Demolished in
1942-1970
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
Type: 
Use: 

 

"West Hillsborough School - Early 1900s" from History of the Town of Hillsborough 1754-1966, p. 152.

 

In late 1918, when the "Spanish flu" epidemic spread to the Eno and Bellevue mill districts, the mill officials opened a "diet kitchen" at the school, and it ran for about seven weeks. Elizabeth Cornelius, a Home Demonstration Agent, was in charge of the kitchen, with Emma Robertson and Mildred Durham working as her assistants. The chairman of West Hill, Mr. C. H. Robertson, supervised the project. Rebecca Wall was a volunteer. As many as 150 people were fed daily, with an average of 90 people fed per day. Not only those sick with influenza were fed, but the families with no one to cook or provide for them were also fed. During this time, Mrs. Emerson Graham and Allie Graham were nurses to the mill workers, and Miss Duncan, the "deaconess at the Mills," assisted. 

West End School aerial view, 1920s

West End School aerial view, view north, 1920s (school indicated by red arrow)

 

"The steeple was destroyed during a storm. Later the front of the building was remodeled. A walk-way and a little porch was added to this building."

A new brick West Hillsborough School was built on Benton/Margaret in 1938. On the 1943 Sanborn map, this buiding is labelled "Community Club House." - evidently it functioned as some sort of community center (mainly for the mill workers) after the relocation of the school.

West End School interior, ca. 1950

West End School auditorium interior, ca. 1950

West End School auditorium interior, ca. 1950

 

As of 2016, it's a vacant lot to the rear of the First Community Baptist Church on Eno Street.

07.31.2016 (G. Kueber)

Add new comment

Add new comment