ENO COTTON MILL

ENO COTTON MILL


ENO COTTON MILL - MAIN MILL

,
Hillsborough
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1896
/ Modified in
1904
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
,
National Register: 
Type: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

Last updated

  • Fri, 09/23/2016 - 3:18pm by gary

Comments

,
Hillsborough
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1896
/ Modified in
1904
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
,
National Register: 
Type: 

 

1898

The Main Mill was the first building constructed for the Eno Mill in 1896; the building was significantly enlarged in 1904.

Most of the Main Mill facade is no longer visible as of 2016, having been encased in numerous contiguous additions. And unfortunately, the tower is long gone.

09.10.2016 (G. Kueber)

Portions of the main mill are visible (brick infilled windows) beyond the various additions in the foreground, below.

09.10.2016

Add new comment

ENO COTTON MILL - ENGINE ROOM

,
Hillsborough
NC
Built in
1896
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
National Register: 
Type: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

Last updated

  • Fri, 09/23/2016 - 3:45pm by gary

Comments

,
Hillsborough
NC
Built in
1896
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
National Register: 
Type: 

 

09.23.2016 (G. Kueber)

09.23.2016 (G. Kueber)

Add new comment

ENO COTTON MILL - BEAMING, CARDING, DYE BUILDING

,
Hillsborough
NC
Built in
1904
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
,
National Register: 
Type: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

Last updated

  • Tue, 08/23/2016 - 9:08am by gary

Comments

,
Hillsborough
NC
Built in
1904
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
,
National Register: 
Type: 

 

02.17.2016 (G. Kueber)

This 2-3 story structure was built in 1904; as was typical of mill construction in this era, 1-2 original buildings held multiple functions, and as the mill incrementally grew, buildings became more and more specialized. As is specified in the 1905 Sanborn below, this building was to be used as a Dye House, and for Beaming and supply. The adjacent building was used for weaving; later buildings would move weaving and dye into their own single purpose structures.

1905 Sanborn

This is the most visible remaining historic section of the Eno Mill. I hope that at some point the windows will be unbricked and restored.

 

Add new comment

ENO COTTON MILL - DYE HOUSE

Built in
1908
/ Modified in
1970-1980
,
2011-2016
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
,
National Register: 
Type: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

Last updated

  • Wed, 09/07/2016 - 8:45am by gary

Comments

Built in
1908
/ Modified in
1970-1980
,
2011-2016
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
,
National Register: 
Type: 

 

09.05.2016 (G. Kueber)

The Dye House was built in 1908, moving dyeing operations out of the beaming/carding building to the north. Originally, this building had a 10 ft tall monitor roof, no longer extant. To the northeast is a 1923 addtion to the Dye House, utilized for an expansion of weaving operations.

By the 1970s, the original windows had been removed and the openings bricked in. At some point since 2011, this building has been nicely restored (and the only building in the Eno Mill to be restored to its original architectural integrity.) As of 2016, it houses the Expedition School - a local charter school.

Add new comment

ENO COTTON MILL - WEAVING ROOM

,
Hillsborough
NC
Built in
1917
/ Modified in
1971
/ Demolished in
1987
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
,
National Register: 
Type: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

Last updated

  • Mon, 09/12/2016 - 9:30pm by gary

Comments

,
Hillsborough
NC
Built in
1917
/ Modified in
1971
/ Demolished in
1987
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
,
National Register: 
Type: 

 

What is it with Weaving Rooms in Hillsborough? The specialized Weaving Room for the Eno Mill was built in 1917; typical for the time/architecture, it had a low pitched gable roof with a 10 ft tall monitor at the roof peak. Windows were multilight arched windows, likely operable.

In 1987 the building was destroyed by fire. In the 2011 photo below, the concrete pad represents the footprint of the building; the interior of the western wall of the weaving room (with infilled windows) is visible as the exterior wall of the 1971 infill in the background.

2011 (National Regsiter Nomination)

As part of the renovation for an event space known as "The Cloth Mill," the owners as of 2016 replaced the brick infill in this wall with outward facing windows.

09.10.2016 (G. Kueber)

I hope that someday someone will rebuild this building and demolish the 1971 infill between this and the main mill, re-exposing the original facade of the main mill building.

Add new comment

1966 (Hillsborough NC General Development Plan, 1968-1988)

Add new comment