This building was built in 1923-1924 on the site of earlier stores and The Hill Bakery. Bruce Strowd moved his Ford dealership into this building from East Franklin Street.
View north, circa 1930 (via Chapel Hill Historical Society)
View northwest, 1931
Bruce Strowd, 1938 (image via UNC Photo Collection)
Strowd's ad, from the 1941 UNC Yackety Yack
View north, 1948
Window sign, 1948
View northwest, 1949
In 1951, the Pritchard-Little Motor Company bought out Strowd's (Pritchard-Little was Grady Pritchard and Crowell Little). In 1955, A. H. Poe temporarily moved his DeSoto business into the building, then Crowell Little opened the Crowell Little Motor Company in this building until it moved to a new location in late 1956.
In April 1959 a branch of the University National Bank opened in the building after a major renovation. Within a few years it became Central Carolina Bank.
View north, November 1956 (photo by Bill Prouty/CHW)
View north, April 1959 (photo by Bill Prouty/CHW)
View north, 1960s (via Chapel Hill Historical Society)
View north, 1977 (via Chapel Hill Historical Society)
View west, 1977 (via Chapel Hill Historical Society)
View north, 2020 (via Google streetview)