101 B ST. / LLOYD GRIST MILL
- This building does not appear in any tours yet.
- Fri, 10/30/2020 - 12:33pm by SteveR
After service in the Confederate army in the Civil War, Thomas F. Lloyd bought property adjacent to the newly-built railhead/train depot in West End (present day Carrboro). There, he and a business partner, William Pritchard, built a wood frame steam-powered grist mill and cotton gin in 1883. In 1886, he bought out Pritchard's share in the grist mill and cotton gin, and had a flour mill built on the property.
Circa 1898, Thomas's brother Herbert Lloyd took over the business, as Thomas was focused on the Alberta Cotton Mill. In 1916, the original wood frame building(s) burned and the current brick one was built.
In 1921, the building was struck by lightning, gutting the interior. After it was rebuilt, Thomas's brother W. Albert Lloyd used the structure as a grocery store and (his) residence. Billy Durham (Lloyd's nephew) then bought the property and used it as a "feed and seed" business. Later, Johnson-Strowd Furniture Company used it for approximately thirty years as a furniture storage warehouse. The structure was restored/renovated in the early 1980s for use as a gourmet wine and cheese shop.
1916 structure, view west
1911 Sanborn map excerpt (note: pre-1916 fire)
1915 Sanborn map excerpt (note: pre-1916 fire)
1925 Sanborn map excerpt (note: post-1916 fire)
View northeast, 1960s (photo via Mack Watts collection)
Johnson-Strowd Furniture Company, 1979, photo excerpt (via Chapel Hill Historical Society)
1983, view northwest
The 1975 NRHP nomination form describes the structure as "a simple brick two-story grist mill with gable roof.. Executed in one-to-five bond, this structure features segmental-arched fenestration with heavy brick lintels. The eastern facade features a raised frame porch with engaged shed roof supported by simple wooden posts."
For more information, see: Brown, Claudia R., Burgess McSwain, John Florin, and Jane Hamborsky. Carrboro, N.C.: An Architectural & Historical Inventory. Carrboro Appearance Commission, Town of Carrboro, 1983. Online: https://townofcarrboro.org/DocumentCenter/View/1917/Architectural-and-Historic-Buildings-Inventory
NRHP nomination form: https://files.nc.gov/ncdcr/nr/OR0001.pdf
View west (9-29-2020 S. Rankin)
The "ginnery" that was once to the south of the grist mill structure (via Mack Watts collection)
No comments yet.
Add new comment