Built in the 1930s, this structure was initially a service/gas station. There once was a wood frame structure housing a blacksmith shop and wood shop on this site, but by 1915 it was demolished.
The lot was part of the William Lloyd property, but was sold to Claude Cates by Lueco Lloyd in 1927. Cates sold it via trust to S. Carl Forrest in November 1935.
By the 1950s this was a taxi stand for Carolina Cab (the Carolina Cab Company was owned by Charles Bartlett; he started it in 1935 and closed the business in 1955). By 1966 the structure was demolished for a parking lot, owned by the Chapel Hill Parking Association.
View north west, 1954 photo excerpt (via CHHS Hill Life)
June 1955 photo excerpt (photo by Roland Giduz, via UNC)