101 W. ROSEMARY ST. / CAROLINA CAB STAND / CAROLINA COACH BUS STATION
- This building does not appear in any tours yet.
- Fri, 03/10/2023 - 10:11am by SteveR
Built circa 1930, this structure was a garage that was modified by/for by the Carolina Cab Company. There once was a wood frame structure housing a blacksmith shop and wood shop on this site, but by 1915 it was demolished .
The lot was part of the William Lloyd property, but was sold to Claude Cates by Lueco Lloyd in June 1927 . Cates sold it via trust to S. Carl Forrest in November 1935 . Forrest sold it to Albert Poe in January 1936 . Poe sold it to John M. Foushee in January 1956 .
By 1936 this was a taxi stand for Carolina Cab (the Carolina Cab Company was owned by Charles Bartlett; he started it in 1935 and closed the business in 1955). In April 1936, the bus station was moved from 136 East Franklin Street to this structure (until 1946-47, when it moved into a new structure) .
By 1966 the structure was demolished for a parking lot, owned/operated by the Chapel Hill Parking Association .
View north west, 1954 photo excerpt (via CHHS Hill Life)
June 1955 photo excerpt (photo by Roland Giduz, via UNC)
Excerpt from the April 24, 1936 Chapel Hill Weekly
No comments yet.
Add new comment