The Town of Carboro purchased the property from B.F. and Lillie Ray in September 1925. This property was known as Lot 6 (Block B) of the 1919 Herbert Lloyd subdivision.
An adjacent property was purchased by the Town of Carboro from George and Grace Poe in January 1934 (which also had been part of the Herbert Lloyd subdivision).
The initial structure (see image below) was built in the late 1920s for use as Carrboro's town hall (left side) and fire department (right side).
View northeast, circa 1945.
The fire department acquired its first fire truck in 1940 when one of the department's members, Charlie Ragan, purchased a 1937 Chevrolet truck and added a pump, ladders, and hose to the vehicle.
The structure was expanded to the south circa 1950 for fire department use.
View east, 21 March 1954 (photo by Roland Giduz, via UNC)
George Tate, Jr. purchased the property from the Town of Carboro in September 1965; the town offices and fire department moved to new locations a few years prior.
Tate sold the property in March 1987. Since 1987 it has been the offices and workshop of The Furniture Doctor, Inc.
View east (9-29-2020 S. Rankin)
View southeast (9-29-2020 S. Rankin)
View southwest (9-29-2020 S. Rankin)