One of the early houses (lot 21A and 21B) in the Gimghoul-Piney Prospect Development. This two-story house was built in 1924 by a contractor (named Barber or Barbour?) from Chatham County for Dudley D. and Eleanor E. Carroll.
There is a late 20th century one-story addition on the rear of the structure.
1925 Sanborn map excerpt
From the NRHP Gimghoul Neighborhood Historic District registration form:
"2-story frame Colonial Revival style house, four bays wide, with flanking 1-story wings. The house has a gable roof, plain siding, an exterior end brick chimney, 6/9 sash in the 1st story and 6/6 sash in the 2nd, and a front entrance with a pedimented Doric entrance stoop. The window shutters have a half-moon design. The south wing is a screened porch with slender Doric posts. To the rear is a recent 1-story addition. The house was built for Dudley and Eleanor Elliott Carroll by Chatham County contractor Barber. Dudley was Dean of the School of Business at UNC."
View west, June 2019 (via Google Streetview)