One of the early houses (lot 20B) in the Gimghoul-Piney Prospect Development. This one-story duplex was built in 1924 by architect Thomas C. Atwood for his employees while they were constructing buildings at UNC as part of a major university building campaign beginning in 1920.
In the 1970s it was converted to a single-family dwelling and has also been expanded since.
1925 Sanborn map excerpt
From the NRHP Gimghoul Neighborhood Historic District registration form:
"1-story frame house of Colonial Revival style, with a hip roof, a mixture of window sashes (including sets of tripled 4/4, 8/8 and 6/6 sash), two interior brick chimneys, plain siding, generously proportioned cornerboards and friezeboards, and wide window and door trim. The house was built as a duplex by T. C. Atwood, the supervising architect at UNC in the 1920s, to house several of the workers of his firm, Atwood and Nash. The present entrance is located on the side facing Gimghoul Road, and is fronted by a Doric entrance stoop with paneled posts. The 1925 Sanborn Map shows two small entrance porches, one facing Ridge Lane, the other facing Evergreen Lane, which apparently have been replaced by the current entrance. The house remained a duplex until the 1970s, when it was converted to a single family house."
View east, June 2019 (via Google Streetview)
View south, June 2019 (via Google Streetview)