107 N. Churton st., the painted storefront with pent roof. (NCSHPO via Tom Campanella/builtbrooklyn.org)
This one-story, parapet-roofed, brick commercial building was built concurrent with the neighboring building at 105 N. Churton Street after a fire destroyed an earlier building on the site. The building features a painted brick exterior laid in a running bond and has corbelling at the parapet and a basketweave course above the storefront. The replacement storefront features a recessed fifteen-light French door with a fluted surround on the left (south) end of the façade and a forty-light picture window to its right (north) with a painted prism- glass transom and a fabric awning extending the full width of the storefront. It was Carroll Realty & Construction in 1994 and is currently Matthew’s Chocolates. The building was erected at the same time as the corner building at 101 N. Churton Street and the neighboring building at 105 N. Churton Street on the site of John Berry's last project, the "Berry Building." Berry died January 11, 1870, shortly after the building was started, and it was later consumed by fire, but two plaques were salvaged and reset in the new building. The plaques are set between 105 and 107 N. Churton and read, "Captain John Berry Archt. and Build 1869." "Rebuilt 1927." Another plaque reads, "the founder of this building died in the early commencement of the work-continued by his heirs - D. (Stonecutter)-April 28th 1870."