07.31.2016 (G. Kueber)
(Below in italics is from the National Register listing; not verified for accuracy by this author.)
This one-and-a-half-story, side-gabled, Colonial Revival-style house is one of only two stone houses in Hillsborough and was reputedly built by the same stonemasons who erected Duke Chapel in Durham. The house is five bays wide and double-pile with projecting, front-gabled wings on each end of the façade and a front-gabled porch between the two wings. The house has a rough-coursed stone veneer, six-over-nine wood- sash windows with cast-concrete lintels and windowsills. There is an exterior stone chimney centered in each of the front-gabled wings, each flanked by six-over-nine windows and with quarter-round windows flanking the stack. The fifteen-light French door is located on the south elevation of the north wing and is sheltered by a projecting, front-gabled porch. There is a gabled porch sheltering another French door on the south elevation. Both porches have stucco in the gables and are supported by Tuscan columns. There are six-over-six windows flanked by two-over-two windows in the main gables and original gabled dormers on the rear of the house have been replaced by a wide, shed-roofed dormer with wood shingles on the exterior and six-over-six wood-sash windows. The shed-roofed dormer, as well as a wooden trellis and gabled porch at the rear of the house were added in 2000. There is a stone wall along both South Hillsborough and West Margaret streets and a slate walkway and slate steps lead to the main entrance. Bellinger dates the house, built for H. Scott and Alice Cates, to 1928.