This property/lot was sold to Orange County by the Webb family in May 1936. It was the former site of a one-and-a-half story building (used as a warehouse and for flour storage) for the adjacent mill building (to the property's south).
The original part of the structure was built in 1936-1937 by Orange County and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) for use as the county agricultural extension office.
In 1962-1963 a $60,000 addition and renovation was made to the original structure.
Circa 1940, view south east (image courtesy of Orange County DEAPR)
Circa 1940, view south west/rear of structure (image courtesy of Orange County DEAPR)
Circa 1937, view south east
1943 Sanborn map excerpt
View south east, December 1962 (via The News of Orange)
View south east, June 2019 (via Google Streetview)
07.02.2016 (G. Kueber)
(Below in italics is from the National Register listing; not verified for accuracy by this author.)
This two-story, parapet-roofed, Colonial Revival-style building is thirteen bays wide with the right four bays recessed slightly from the façade. The building has a brick veneer laid with cast-stone windowsills, a cast- stone cornice, and cast-stone coping at the parapet. It has six-over-six wood-sash windows with flat brick arches. The six-panel door has four-light-over-one-panel sidelights and a classical surround with broken swan’s neck pediment. The right (west) elevation, facing Court Street, is a single story due to the slope of the site. It has a twelve-light-over-one-panel door with four-light-over-one-panel sidelights and is sheltered by a small pedimented, roof. An integrated planter extends across the façade and left (east) elevations. The building appears on the 1943 Sanborn map. According to Bellinger, the left side of the Agricultural Services Building was completed before World War II with the right side completed after the war.
(Note: Bellinger had it backwards: The right side of the structure/the rightmost "four bays" is the oldest section, the left side is the "newer.")