09.11.2019 (G. Kueber)
(Below from Carrboro Commercial District NR Nomination, 1984)
Little altered two-story brick commercial building constructed c. 1924. Originally built to house two businesses, today the Western Auto Store occupies both storefronts. Transoms and sidelights surround the recessed entries. The plate glass store win- dows surmount recessed panelled aprons. Simple brick corbelling details the eave of the flat roof and a corbelled pilaster divides the storefronts. The Lloyd-Ray Hardware Store occupied this building for over forty years. The owners, Dwight Ray and Seaton Lloyd also operated a furniture store on the second floor. The store was a major anchor on Main Street and local historian Frances Head Tripp recalled that "almost everybody in Carrboro ran an account with Lloyd-Ray Hardware. The owners understood the state of folks' finances, and the bill would have to be a pretty old one before they sent any kind of a reminder. When they went out of business, all the long-time residents of Carrboro felt that a very real part of Carrboro was gone." Dwight Ray was active in local politics and served as a county commissioner. The building was also the site for many years of Willard Mize's Carrboro Tire and Appliance Store. Western Auto has occupied the building since 1977.
One bay of this structure has housed the restaurant "Acme" since 1998.