112 W. UNION ST.

112 W. UNION ST.

112
,
Hillsborough
NC
Built in
1934
Builders: 
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
Local Historic District: 
National Register: 
Type: 
Use: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

  • Wed, 02/17/2021 - 3:35pm by gary

Comments

112
,
Hillsborough
NC
Built in
1934
Builders: 
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
Local Historic District: 
National Register: 
Type: 
Use: 

 

10.29.2016 (G. Kueber)

(Below in italics from the National Register nomination; not verified for accuracy by this author)

Set far back from the road on a lot that extends the full depth of the city block, this house is accessed by a long sidewalk lined with mature boxwoods. The two-story, side-gabled, Colonial Revival-style house is five bays wide and double-pile. It has a brick veneer, exterior brick chimney on the right (east) gable end, and an interior brick chimney at the left rear (northwest). The house has six-over-six wood-sash windows and a replacement metal roof. The six-panel door has four-light-over-one-panel sidelights and an arched transom and is sheltered by a small, front-gabled porch with an arched ceiling supported by square columns. A one-story, hip-roofed porch on the right elevation is supported by grouped square columns and has been enclosed with glass and has a replacement wood railing at the roofline. A one-story, gabled porch on the left (west) elevation has also been enclosed and has a replacement wood railing at the roofline. There is a one-story, projecting three-sided bay on the rear (north) elevation. The house, built for the Cates family, was constructed by Curry Roberts and the brickmason was Roosevelt Warner, an African-American brickmason. County tax records date this building to 1934, replacing an earlier house shown on the 1924 Sanborn map.

Rear of the house, viewed from W. Orange, 10.09.16

(Below in italics from the National Register nomination; not verified for accuracy by this author)

Set far back from the road on a lot that extends the full depth of the city block, this house is accessed by a long sidewalk lined with mature boxwoods. The two-story, side-gabled, Colonial Revival-style house is five bays wide and double-pile. It has a brick veneer, exterior brick chimney on the right (east) gable end, and an interior brick chimney at the left rear (northwest). The house has six-over-six wood-sash windows and a replacement metal roof. The six-panel door has four-light-over-one-panel sidelights and an arched transom and is sheltered by a small, front-gabled porch with an arched ceiling supported by square columns. A one-story, hip-roofed porch on the right elevation is supported by grouped square columns and has been enclosed with glass and has a replacement wood railing at the roofline. A one-story, gabled porch on the left (west) elevation has also been enclosed and has a replacement wood railing at the roofline. There is a one-story, projecting three-sided bay on the rear (north) elevation. The house, built for the Cates family, was constructed by Curry Roberts and the brickmason was Roosevelt Warner, an African-American brickmason. County tax records date this building to 1934, replacing an earlier house shown on the 1924 Sanborn map.

From Gardens of Old Hillsborough, 1971

It is interesting that this garden was once a part of the grounds of the Burwell School. The house was actually built on the foundation of the old dormitory. Little remains of the school garden, but many old bulbs bloom in the lawn in spring, particularly the "blue bottles," the tiny grape-hyacinths. The grounds are shaded by silver maples, old winged elms, and a beautiful pecan tree.

Add new comment