113 N. CHURTON ST. / FORREST BUILDING

113 N. CHURTON ST. / FORREST BUILDING

113
,
Hillsborough
NC
Built in
1905-1911
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
Local Historic District: 
National Register: 
Type: 
Use: 
,

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

Last updated

  • Wed, 09/08/2021 - 6:30pm by gary

Comments

113
,
Hillsborough
NC
Built in
1905-1911
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
Local Historic District: 
National Register: 
Type: 
Use: 
,

 

1937 - combined panning shot from H. Lee Waters film

Renovation time, 1968 (via The News of Orange County)

Renovation time, 1968 (via The News of Orange County)

 

At some point it was Beck's Motors/Automotive. In 1968, the structure was renovated and faulonialized into a branch of the North Carolina National Bank, which sold the property in 1988.

From the National Register nomination:

Shown on the 1911 Sanborn map, this building is one of the earliest commercial buildings in the district. The Colonial Revival-style two-story building has a painted common-bond brick exterior with a parapet roof that steps down toward the rear of the building. There is an applied wood, modillion cornice on the façade. A recessed entrance on the right (north) end of the storefront has paired fifteen-light French doors with an eight-light transom and there is a night deposit box on the north wall of the recessed entrance. There are two forty-eight-light picture windows on the left (south) end of the façade separated from each other and the entrance bay by wood pilasters. There is an ATM set into the far left end of the façade and a flared metal pent roof extends the full width of the storefront [HPC]. Three nine-over-nine wood-sash windows at the second- floor level have arched brick surrounds. There is an alley along the right (north) side of the building and the right elevation is covered with stucco. The building was erected as a general store, was later a Chevrolet dealership, and is now a bank. The Colonial Revival-style storefront details were likely added in the 1930s [ed. note: this actually occured in 1968].

07.31.2016 (G. Kueber)

I wish someone could come along one evening an pull all the Colonial Revival gradue off of the buildings downtown, and allow these buildings to return to some simple elegance  - versus the faux fancy shutters, pent roofs, fake shutters and other tackiness.

In December of 2016, the Wooden Nickel pub announced that they would be moving to this building in late 2017 (from 105 N. Churton.)

 

Add new comment