This property was Tract C of the 1927 "Lloyd Place" subdivision; it was further subdivided by Durwood O'Kelly
The original structure was built circa 1944 as a funeral home for the Chapel Hill Funeral Home; it was a "segregated" business, as in it was operated for the local African American community.
The business was operated by a board of trustees. Originally the board consisted of Kenneth M. Jones and Edward Swain. Later trustees were also Sherman Purefoy, W. A. Cordal, and John D. Couch. In the 1960s, other trustees were Mollie Purefoy, Bessie Cordal, Lena Swain, Ruth Jones, and Bynum Weaver.
In the 1950s and 1960s, Bynum and Susie Weaver were the directors, and Ed Swain was manager, with Richard D. Caldwell as an apprentice. In the late 1950s or early 1960s, an "ambulance service" was added.
Sometime between 1977 and 1982 the property was transferred to the Weavers.
The property was sold by the Weaver family to George and Esther Tate in the 1980s. They in turn sold the property to Knotts Funeral Home, although Knotts had been operating as a business at this location since 1997.
The structure has been extensively renovated over the years.
Knotts Funeral Home, view west, June 2019 (image via Google Streetview)
For additional information, see: