09.10.16 (G. Kueber)
This two-story, gambrel-roofed, Dutch Colonial Revival-style house is two bays wide and double-pile with two gabled dormers on the façade. The house has a brick veneer and nine-over-nine wood-sash windows on the first floor with plain weatherboards and six-over-six windows in the gables and flush sheathing and six- over-six windows in the dormers. The entrance, on the left (west) end of the façade, has one-light-over-one- panel sidelights and a narrow transom and there is a dentil cornice on the façade. A one-story, side-gabled wing on the left elevation has plain weatherboards and six-over-six wood-sash windows. The house stands on the site of the Haralson-Studwick House, which was razed in 1960; the associated antebellum brick kitchen remains standing in the rear yard. County tax records date the house to 1969.
A description of the original kitchen (from 2013 NRHP documents):
"One-story, side-gabled brick building was constructed as a kitchen for the Haralson-Strudwick House, which originally stood on this site. The building has a one-to-five common-bond brick exterior with gable-end brick chimneys. It has nine-overnine wood-sash windows and a double-leaf three-panel door with flat brick arches. The kitchen is thought to have been built by Dr. Edmund Strudwick, who purchased the property from Archibald Haralson in 1837 and enlarged the main house at that time. The house was destroyed in 1960 and the kitchen was enlarged to serve as a residence. However, the additions have since been removed and the kitchen has been restored to its original form. A new house was constructed on the site in 1969."
The Haralson-Studwick House, view north, late 1950s (photo by Mary C. Engstrom, via UNC)
The Haralson-Studwick House, view north west, late 1950s (photo by Mary C. Engstrom, via UNC)
The Haralson-Studwick House, view west, late 1950s (photo by Mary C. Engstrom, via UNC)