117 W. KING ST.
"Dr. Durham's Store" likely dated from the 1880s-1890s (Photo from "History of the Town of Hillsborough") It was torn down in the 1950s and replaced with a two-story masonry structure on a similar footprint.
07.31.2016 (G. Kueber)
(Below in italics is from the National Register listing; not verified for accuracy by this author.)
This two-story, brick commercial building is two bays wide with a flat roof behind a brick parapet with terra cotta coping. A solid metal door with one-light transom on the left (east) end of the façade accessed the second floor. There is a metal-frame storefront on the right (west) end of the façade with paired metal-frame glass doors with a one-light transom and two plate-glass windows on a brick knee wall. One-over-one wood- sash windows on the second-floor level have segmental-arched brick surrounds. An asphalt-shingled pent roof installed c. 1985 over the storefront connects to the pent roof on the neighboring building (115 West King Street) and the buildings have been connected on the interior as well. There is a brick planter that abuts the west elevation of the building. The building does not appear on the 1943 Sanborn map and was likely constructed in the 1950s.
As of 2016, the first floor is a part of Dual Supply, and the upstairs houses WHUP-FM, an awesome local/international (yay interwebs) radio station of Hillsborough's very own.
No comments yet.
Add new comment