This building was built circa 1910. It is first depicted on a map in March 1911 as being occupied by an unnamed plumber.
March 1911 Sanborn Map excerpt
The Southeastern Express Company occupied this structure beginning in 1915.
In 1938, Harry's Carolina Grill moved to this location. Originally opened in 1926 by Harry Stern (in another structure), In 1939 Harry's was purchased by Harry's brother-in-law, Harry Macklin. Macklin sold the restaurant to Benjamin Schreiber in 1944. At some point the facade of the building was fauxlonialized.
Photo by Dorothea Lange, July 2. 1939 (she likely had lunch here while visiting UNC)
At right of photo, circa 1947 (photo by Bayard Wootten, via UNC)
1950's architectural rendition of "street improvements," circa 1950 (image via UNC)
In 1952 Schreiber sold the name "Harry's" to Harry Macklin (who reopened it across the street in 1954) and opened The Youth Center (a children's clothing store) with his wife at this location.
1958 Christmas parade, view south east (building is to the left of the Carolina Theater) (photo via Chapel Hill Historical Society)
Photo excerpt, showing The Youth Center in background, January 7, 1961 (photo by Roland Giduz, via UNC)
In 1969, First Citizen's Bank & Trust opened in the space. Sometime in the 1960s or 1970s a second story was added and the facade was fauxlonialized.
1977 (via Chapel Hill Historical Society)
In 1978 it was the Weiner King and then the Four-Five-Six Chinese Restaurant by 1982, where the facade of the building had Chinese style architectural elements added.
The Four Five Six Restaurant (at right), 1983 (via Chapel Hill Historical Society)
Bar grand opening! March 1983 (from the Daily Tar Heel)
By the early 1990s it was the Asia Cafe.
Asia Cafe exterior, view southwest, circa 2019 (from their website)
In early 2020, the Asian architectural elements have been removed and the structure is now occupied by an Indian restaurant, the Curry Point Express.