118 W. KING ST.

118 W. KING ST.

118
/* */ /* */ ,
Hillsborough
/* */
NC
/* */
Built in
1911
/* */ / Modified in
1980
/* */
Architectural style: 
/*
,
*/ /* */
Construction type: 
/*
,
*/ /* */
Local Historic District: 
/* */
Neighborhood: 
/* */
Type: 
/* */
Use: 
/* */

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

  • Mon, 12/16/2019 - 3:06pm by gary

Comments

118
/* */ /* */ ,
Hillsborough
/* */
NC
/* */
Built in
1911
/* */ / Modified in
1980
/* */
Architectural style: 
/*
,
*/ /* */
Construction type: 
/*
,
*/ /* */
Local Historic District: 
/* */
Neighborhood: 
/* */
Type: 
/* */
Use: 
/* */

 

"The Amusement Center" - 1983. Given that this was 1983, was this a video arcade? (NCSHPO via Tom Campanella)

Post 1957, Allen A. Lloyd owned and operated the James Pharmacy. After his daughter Evelyn Lloyd graduated from pharmacy school at UNC in 1965, he sold the James Pharmacy building and he and Evelyn opened Lloyd’s Pharmacy together in this building in 1986.

(Below in italics is from the National Register listing; not verified for accuracy by this author.)

Constructed as early as 1911, this one-story, brick commercial building has been altered with the removal of a second floor and the installation of a replacement Colonial Revival-style storefront, brick façade, and pent roof. The building has a flat roof behind a brick parapet with metal coping. The storefront features one-light-over-two-panel doors on each end of the façade, each with a four-light transom. Centered on the façade are two twenty-five-light display windows. The doors and windows are encompassed within a wood storefront with pilasters between the bays, wood aprons beneath the windows, and a modillion cornice that extends the full width of the storefronts. An asphalt-shingled pent roof has been installed above the storefronts. The building appears on the 1911 Sanborn map as a post office with a barber on the second floor.

07.31.2016 (G. Kueber)

Regrettably, I must concur with the National Register folks that the fauxlonial facadectomy that occurred here probably justifies leaving this building in a non-contributing state. It's hard to tell whether the original brick storefront remains intact with only the millions of muntins and dentils filling what would have been a plain, mostly glass storefront.

/* */

Add new comment