Built in 1951-52 as part of the Glen Lennox Shopping Center. The building originally contained the service/gas station (then a Sinclair) on the west and east and a maintenance/volunteer fire department garage on the north east. It opened for business on October 9, 1952.
View north, October 9, 1952 (via the Daily Tar Heel)
View north, 11 October 1952 (photo via Grubb Properties, via Mike Legeros)
View north east, 1953 (photo by Roland Giduz, via UNC)
Part of the now two-story structure (the second story was added sometime after 1955) was initially used by the volunteer fire company for the Glen Lennox apartments; the now-bricked-in garage bays for the fire truck can still be seen (see legeros.com/blog/glen-lennox-fire-department-in-chapel-hill for information). It was used until a proper fire station (Chapel Hill Fire Station 2) was built nearby in 1959.
Aerial view, 1955
The service station is now "Minton's Glen Lennox BP" with an attached Family Fare convenience store (which is in the original service bays).
View north, August 2019 (via Google Streetview)
View east, August 2019 (via Google Streetview)
View west, August 2019 (via Google Streetview)
A description of the structure from the 2017 report "Historic Structures Survey Report for the Widening of NC 54 from US 15/501 to NC 55":
"The building is at the far southwest corner of the development. The two-story office building has a front one-story section that serves as retail shop and gas station. The building is veneered in brick laid in common bond with Flemish header courses. Concrete coping finishes the walls, and second-story windows are replacement sash with original brick sills. The first story has large areas of plate glass (some infilled with brick). Glass walls accented by random-ashlar stone-veneered walls form the southwest corner, oriented to the pumping area. The gas pumps and sheltering canopies have been built in the last several years, likely the third or fourth iteration of pumps at this location."