Architectural rendering, 1949 (via the Daily Tar Heel)
Built in the typical at-the-time fauxlonial style between May and November, 1949. Archie Davis was architect, the Wrenn-Wilson Construction Company was the building contractor.
The building's first tenants were The Sport Shop, Western Union, and Gooch's Cafe on the first floor; with various offices on the second floor (including architect Archie Davis's Chapel Hill office) and Smith-Prevost Cleaners in the one-story section on the south.
Carl Smith, 1949 (via the Daily Tar Heel)
The Sport Shop ad, 1950 (via DTH)
View north west, 1954 (via CHHS Hill Life)
June 1955 (photo by Roland Giduz, via UNC)
1965 (via CHHS Hill Life)
View north west, 1966 (via CHHS Hill Life)
At some point, dormers were added to the two-story section of the building. Was the offices of the local Home Savings and Loan for years/decades.
View west, August 2019 (via Google Streetview)