Interior and Gerard F. Tempest, 1963 (photo via UNC)
May 13, 1962 CHW weekly excerpt
The structure was built between 1958 and 1963, with architectural details salvaged from three 19th century mansions that were being torn down in Durham. It was designed by artist Gerard F. Tempest.
Opening in the summer of 1963, Villa Tempesta was a restaurant (in the basement), events space/private dining room (upstairs), coffee shop, antiques shop, and art gallery (main floor). The restaurant was noted for its Italian-American cuisine.
It was renamed Villa Teo in 1966 when it was purchased by Ted and Mary Danzinger.
Noted chef Bill Neal worked here in the 1970s until he and his wife started their own restaurant, La Residence, in Chapel Hill.
Renamed Whitehall at the Villa when it was rented by the Lindquists as an antique store in the mid-1980s. They purchased the property from the Danzinger estate in 1991.
Entryway, view north, 2020 (photo by S. Rankin)
Courtyard, view north, 2020 (photo by S. Rankin)