The Hillsborough House Restaurant opened for business March 1, 1947, and was the first business in Hillsboro to install air conditioning, in May 1948. The property was owned by the Cates family, and the Godfreys moved on to the Colonial Inn when the Crawfords purchased it in 1953 and started a restaurant in it. It reopened in May 1953 with Mr. and Mrs. Connie Howard as operators of the business. In June of 1955, Stuart Adler purchased the business.
The façade was evidently altered in late 1990, and torn down by the end of the decade (likely to make room for the new police station that was built in 1994). As of 2023, it is a public parking lot and driveway.
View west, 1991 (from "Photocensus: A Photographic Survey of Buildings in the Hillsborough NC Historic District Built Prior to 1950" by Susan Bellinger)
From the February 27, 1947 News of Orange
From the October 13, 1949 News of Orange
Ad from October 1952 (via DTH)
From the May 28, 1953 News of Orange
From the June 23, 1955 News of Orange
From the September 20, 1956 News of Orange