131 S. COLUMBIA ST. / INFIRMARY (THIRD) / ABERNETHY HALL
- This building does not appear in any tours yet.
- Fri, 05/07/2021 - 11:34am by SteveR
View east, circa 1910 (via UNC)
Built in the summer of 1907, this third infirmary on the UNC campus was authorized by the State legislature the previous year. The two-story structure was built of "gray pressed brick" at a cost of $21,000. The architect was Frank P. Milburn and the contractor/builder was Norman Underwood. Besides the main patient room (capable of housing 20 patients), there was a kitchen, operating room, and UNC's physician's office.
Drs. Charles S. Mangum, Isaac H. Manning, and William DeBernier MacNider cared for patients on a rotating basis during the academic year; and Dr. Eric A. Abernethy treated summer school patients until he left to serve in World War One. In 1920, after Abernethy's return from the war, the Board of Trustees elected him the first university physician, placing him in sole charge of the infirmary; the desire for such a position arose from concern over the influenza epidemic of 1918-1919. In addition, the large number of North Carolinians rejected by the Draft Board had called attention to the inadequacies of local health care.
1911 Sanborn map excerpt
View north east, 1921 (via UNC)
View south east, circa 1930 (via UNC)
View east, circa 1935 (via UNC)
View north east, circa 1939 (via UNC)
View south east, circa 2010 (via UNC)
The cornerstone, 3.9.2021 (photo by S. Rankin)
View east, 3.9.2021 (photo by S. Rankin)
View south east, 3.9.2021 (photo by S. Rankin)
View north east, 3.9.2021 (photo by S. Rankin)
No comments yet.
Add new comment