Exterior, 1921 (UNC Yackety Yack)
1923 architect's/artist's drawing of new bank
At right in photo, circa 1947 (photo by Bayard Wootten, via UNC)
View north west, circa 1960 (via Chapel Hill Historical Society)
View north, 1965
Interior, 1959 (UNC Yackety Yack)
This original building was built in 1898 for the Bank of Chapel Hill. In 1923, a new bank building was built. Circa 1925, People's Bank merged with the Bank of Chapel Hill.
Circa 1952, the bank opened a branch in the new Glen Lennox shopping center; there was a third in Carrboro.
The Bank of Chapel Hill was bought by North Carolina National Bank (NCNB) in 1962.
The new (current) building was built 1968-1969, and was named NCNB Plaza. Alas, a rather attractive and classic bank facade was obliterated, along with the historic building next door (to the east) as well.
View north west, circa 1980 (via Chapel Hill Historical Society)
View north, circa 1980 (via Chapel Hill Historical Society)
This structure is another strong contestant for the "Ugliest Facade in Chapel Hill Award." However, even if it looks out of place on Franklin Street, its latest transformation has been a great improvement to the late 1960s a̶b̶o̶m̶i̶n̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ building IMHO.
View north, June 2019 (via Google Streetview)