Its business grand opening was May 8, 1964. Odis Johnson (then located in Mebane) was the building contractor. The structure replaced a large frame dwelling that was built sometime between 1894 and 1900, on historic town lot 35.
It was a Phillips 66 station, selling Kenan Oil distributed products. Its first station manager was Fred Albert.
View south west, May 1964 (from "Hilsborough, NC General Development Plan 1968-1988")
View north west, January 1983 (North Carolina Division of Archives and History, via Tom Campanella)
View west, May 2023 (Google Streetview)
Kenan Oil sold the property to Ken and Doris Collins in March 1986. The service station building was extensively remodeled, as the current structure on the property is listed as being built in 1988. For awhile, it was an Orange Federal Savings & Loan, then a Centura Bank. Centura sold the property to the Town of Hillsborough in August 1995, and it became town offices.
The original pole for the service station's sign is still present at the south east of the property.
(Below in italics from the National Register nomination; not verified for accuracy)
This one-story, hip-roofed office building is seven bays wide and double-pile with a projecting, front- gabled wing on the left (south) end of the façade. The building has a brick veneer on most of the facades, six- over-six wood-sash windows, generally paired, and a square cupola with louvered vents on each elevation perched on the ridgeline. The six-panel door has a classical surround with fluted pilasters and is sheltered by a two-bay-wide, hip-roofed porch supported by slender Tuscan columns. The projecting, front-gabled wing has fiber-cement siding, six-over-six wood windows in groups of three, and an octagonal vent in the gable. There is a hip-roofed projecting wing at the right rear (northwest) with a flat-roofed section to the south of the wing. A low brick wall at the northeast corner of the building creates a small courtyard. Tax records indicate that a gas station stood on the site prior to 1986, but the Orange Federal Savings and Loan Association acquired the property in 1988 and constructed the building at that time. It is currently Orange County offices.
Hillsborough, NC General Development Plan 1968-1988
Image N_83_2_2638 View of Hillsborough, NC January 1973 - NC DIvision of Archives and History
The News of Orange (newspaper)
May 7, 1964
Orange County Register of Deeds
Deed Book 195, Page 279
Deed Book 195, Page 455
Deed Book 564, Page 262
Deed Book 1078, Page 71
Deed Book 1384, Page 135
Sanborn Map Company, map of Hillsboro, NC
1888, 1894, 1900