1500 FORDHAM BLVD. / SOUTH 501 RESTAURANT / OWENS 501 DINER

1500 FORDHAM BLVD. / SOUTH 501 RESTAURANT / OWENS 501 DINER

1500
,
Chapel Hill
NC
Built in
1955-1957
/ Modified in
1957-1959
,
1990-1999
,
2016
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
Type: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

  • Sun, 10/24/2021 - 5:44pm by SteveR

Comments

1500
,
Chapel Hill
NC
Built in
1955-1957
/ Modified in
1957-1959
,
1990-1999
,
2016
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
Type: 

 

View north, August 1957 (via The News of Orange)

 

Started out as the South 501 Restaurant in 1957. Wes and Nancy Thompson were its managers.

In the mid-to-late 1950s, Highway 15/501 was moved/relocated to the south of its original location.

By mid 1959 the building was an Esso (Kenan Oil) gas/service station.

It was renovated into Owens 501 Diner in late 1992 by/for Chapel Hillian Greg Owens, and received an award for its transformation in 1993. The 501 Diner closed in 2016. The building is now the home of the School of Rock.

View north east, 2016 (photo by Robby, via Flickr)

View north, July 2019 (via Google Street View)

 

Add new comment