This structure was built prior to the development of "Cobb Terrace," and seems to have been constructed sometime between 1910 and 1915.
Located at the entrance to Cobb Terrace, this one-and-a-half-story, side-gabled, Craftsman-style bungalow is two bays wide and triple-pile with a near-full-width, shed-roofed dormer on the façade. The house has wood shingles, one-over-one replacement windows, and an exterior brick chimney in the right (south) gable end. The full-width porch was partially enclosed as early as the 1950s and the façade of the remaining porch brought forward slightly. There is a twenty-light picture window on the right end of the façade and an inset porch on the left end of the façade is supported by columns and a shingled knee wall and shelters a one-light door. Triple windows in the dormer were replaced with picture windows flanked by one-over-one windows between 1992 and 2002. There is a single window in each gable and exposed rafter tails on the shed-roofed dormer. An entrance on the left (north) elevation is sheltered by a gabled porch supported by square posts on a shingled knee wall that has been enclosed with screens above. A two-story, shed-roofed addition at the left rear (northeast) has nine-over-one wood-sash windows and a basement level entrance on the north elevation. The building appears on the 1915 Sanborn map and its earliest occupants were likely the Lear family.
Circa 1920 (photo by Collier Cobb, via UNC)
Circa 1924 postcard excerpt (by The Albertype Co., Brooklyn, N.Y., via UNC)
View east, 1992 (photo by Mary Beth Gatza)
View east, 2014 (photo by Heather Wagner Slane)
View east, June 2019 (via Google Streetview)