Built circa 1929 by/for the Standard Oil Company of New Jersey (a.k.a. Esso). The structure that was originally on this property (now at 103 E. Tryon St.) was moved to the east side of the lot to make space for the service station.
Chandler Cates owned/operated this station from 1942 to 1968.
It became an Exxon station (as Standard became Exxon after a merger in 1972) circa 1973.
Corner of Churton and Tryon, looking northeast - 1937 (photomerged stills from H. Lee Waters film)
1943 Sanborn map excerpt, showing the original filling and service station
View east, circa 1945 (photo by Chandler Cates, via Images of America)
Chandler Cates, circa 1945 (photo by Chandler Cates, via Images of America)
The original filling and service station was demolished circa 1955 in order to build a new gas station. The circa 1956 gas station structure was modified in 1988 with a gambrel roof second story.
View north east, circa 1985 (via Bellinger)
View north east, 2019 (via Google Street view)
Orange County Register of Deeds Office
Deed book 89, page 391
Deed book 257, page 831
Deed book 1983, page 356