View north west, circa 1925 (image via UNC)
View north west, circa 1930 (image via UNC)
View north west, circa 1950 (image via UNC)
View north west, circa 1960 (image via UNC)
View north east, 1961 (via CHW)
The first structure on this property was a 250-seat Baptist church that was built in 1854 and dedicated May 6, 1855. The property was willed to the church by William Henry Merritt. The church had enslaved members but they left to form a separate Baptist church after the Civil War
and emancipation (in September 1865), since many if not most of the other church members had been slave owners and proponents of the "Lost Cause"
into the 20th century. The church was used by the Baptists until 1923 when a new church was built for them on the south west corner of Columbia and Franklin streets.
1915 Sanborn map excerpt
The property was sold to Masonic Lodge #408
in 1931, who utilized the building until January 1961, when they moved to the Durham Road/East Franklin Street.
The 1854 church was demolished in early 1961, and the property became a parking lot for the Belk-Legget-Horton department store
, and was to be used for additional construction if the store expanded in the future.
View north, circa 1970 (via CHHS)
A three-story structure called the "Pavilion" was built/completed on this property in 1999. The structure has 9,919 square feet of ground level retail/office space. The main attraction of the new building was the restaurant owned by UNC alumnus and pro basketball player Michael Jordan
. Michael Jordan's 23
operated from October 1999 to November 2003. It later became an Aveda Institute
. It is now home to a variety of businesses, to include Google's Chapel Hill office
View north west, 2015 (image via partnership.downtownchapelhill.com)
View north west, June 2019 (image via Google Streetview)