07.02.2016 (G. Kueber)
Structure is in left background; photo excerpt from February 22, 1956 (photo by Roland Giduz, via UNC)
It was used as a Ray Motor Company (Ford) dealership showroom and garage in the 1950s and 1960s (until circa 1965).
Major Business Forms occupied this structure in the late 1960s and early 1970s.
The fire department (departments, actually; HFD and ORFD) moved to this structure in 1976. The neo-colonial/fauxlonial facade was added to the building by architect Archie Davis.
Late 1970s, view west (via www.orfd.net)
Interior, late 1970s (via www.orfd.net)
(Below in italics is from the National Register listing; not verified for accuracy by this author.)
This one-story, hip-roofed, Colonial Revival-style fire station has a rear wing with a barrel-vault roof that appears to be a factory or garage that pre-dates the front section. The Flemish-bond building is three bays wide and single-pile with brick quoins at the corners, a projecting brick watertable, a modillion cornice, a pedimented projecting entrance bay centered on the façade, and a cupola on the ridgeline. The left (south) bay has an overhead garage door and the right (north) bay has a pair of twelve-over-twelve wood-sash windows with a wide cornice with modillions and fixed shutters. The nine-light-over-four-panel door has three-light- over-one-panel sidelights and a three-part transom. It has a classical surround with a broken swans-neck pediment. The front gable has a modillion cornice at the pediment and a small round window. The cupola has louvered vents on each elevation and an arched copper roof. The rear wing has large, multi-light fixed metal windows on the right elevation and two garage bays flanked by metal windows on the left elevation. The rear elevation features a single garage bay flanked by windows and aluminum siding in the gable. The building is typical of the Colonial Revival-style governmental buildings erected in Hillsborough in the 1980s. An original slate roof was removed from the building in 1994.