210 W. CAMERON AVE. / HILLEL HOUSE
- This building does not appear in any tours yet.
- Fri, 05/07/2021 - 11:40am by SteveR
The original wood frame, two-story structure that stood on this lot was built circa 1900-1910 on property likely owned at the time by W. W. (William or Woody W.?) Durham.
By the mid-1910s, it was a boarding house; then-UNC student Thomas Wolfe rented space in this house for two months in late 1916 (from Martha "Mattie" E. Hardee). From 1928 to circa 1944 it was the Sigma Phi Epsilon (Delta Chapter) fraternity house.
The B'nai B'rith Hillel Foundation purchased the property in July 1944 from J. V. and Catherine Goodrich. A February 1946 ad in the Chapel Hill Weekly listed the house itself for sale, with it having to be moved off the property.
The B'nai B'rith Hillel Foundation had a new, brick structure built in 1952 on the lot; the current brick structure (known as Hillel House) was built in 1985 according to county tax records.
View north, 1934 (via UNC's Yackety Yack)
1915 Sanborn Map excerpt (structure is #117)
View north, 1938 (via UNC's Yackety Yack)
Interior, 1938 (via UNC's Yackety Yack)
February 1946, via the Chapel Hill Weekly
View north, circa 1952 (via UNC)
View north east, circa 1960 (via UNC)
View north, June 2019 (via Google Streetview)
No comments yet.
Add new comment