In 1947, Walter Dallam Toy's family sold their house and property
to Margaret Davis Haywood, who in turn leased it to A&P Stores
for a future site to build a new grocery store.
In 1948, A&P moved from their former store on East Franklin Street into their newly-built building at this location. A&P moved out in 1975.
By September 1975 it was Vicker's Audio; in 1982 Woofer & Tweeter (also an audio store) moved into the space; in late 1986 the chain Stereo Sound bought out Woofer & Tweeter, moving in 1991; by 1992 it was Franklin Street Cycles.
It is currently the Bicycle Chain.
View north, circa 1970 (photo vis the Chapel Hill Historical Society)
June 27, 1947 Chapel Hill Weekly
Ad excerpt from August 1979
Ad excerpt from November 19, 1982
Ad excerpt from November 7, 1986
View north east, January 2019 (via Google Streetview)